One of my first fully formed food memories revolves around blueberry muffins. When I was about 4 or 5 years old, I’d accompany my mom and brother to his weekend swimming lessons in the next town over. While he was at his lessons, my mom and I would go to a nearby restaurant for breakfast. I don’t remember the name of the restaurant but I remember that they had the most amazing blueberry muffins. Now whenever I eat blueberry muffins, I think back to those Saturday mornings, the soft padding of the booths, the smell of coffee and cinnamon-infused baked goods, and the perfect muffins.
In an era when many of our comforts have been eviscerated, when the distractions that once helped us cope have been taken away, we will need to turn often to our reserve of happy memories to find stability and peace. I hope that these blueberry muffins, the aroma of them baking, the familiar sweetness, and soft texture, brings you some comfort as well and reminds you of more pleasant times.
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins):
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of ginger
1 scoop (about a 1/4 cup) of Vegan Protein Smoothie Powder (optional but highly recommended for both flavour and extra nutrition)
a pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup of milk
1 tbsp of maple syrup
2 tsp of vanilla
1 tbsp of molasses
2 cups of frozen or fresh blueberries (I find frozen ones tend to leak a bit less when baked)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the dry ingredients (3 cups of flour, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp of ginger, 1 scoop of protein powder and a pinch of salt) in a large mixing bowl.
3. Combine the wet ingredients (1 1/2 cup of milk, 1 tbsp of maple syrup, 2 tsp of vanilla, 1 tbsp of molasses)
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
5. Gradually fold the 2 cups of blueberries into the batter.
6. Fill a muffin tray with the batter. Each muffin round should be about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.