It’s been a rough few weeks. Work has been stressful, more so than usual. It’s been rainy, dark and grey, and I’m not digging the short days and lack of sunlight. What’s a vegan to do in such trying times? Why indulge of course, and not just any indulgence will do in these circumstances. It’s time to break out one of the most fabled of fruits, the first plant ever cultivated by humans, succulent fresh figs.
Figs, on their own, are a great treat, as well as being rich in fiber and calcium, but this recipe sees them paired with everyone’s favourite dopamine releasing dessert, chocolate. Throw in some pistachios and you’ve got a first class snack to nibble away while you rest, recover and binge on all of Netflix’s latest. I also strongly recommend pairing these with a nice full glass of red wine.
5 to 6 Figs
1 cup of pistachios
1 cup of Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup margarine
1. In a food processor pulse the pistachios into crumbs. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside
2. In a small pot, melt the chocolate and margarine on low heat. Stir frequently until smooth.
3. Thoroughly wash the figs, and cut off the stems. Slice the figs in half.
4. Dip the figs into the melted chocolate and coat thoroughly. Then roll in the pistachios.
5. Place the coated figs in the fridge until the chocolate is set.