Bean curd sheets seem to be a bit of a hidden gem for vegans. Amidst the sea of smoothie bowls, this dim sum staple, made from the film produced while boiling soy milk, doesn’t really get the attention it deserves. Like tofu, bean curd sheets absorb flavour incredibly well, making them a versatile power house that can be used as a tortilla alternative, as a mock meat or just thrown into a stir-fry
The first time I had bean curd sheets was at Buddha’s Vegetarian, a Chinese restaurant on Dundas Street, just west of Kensington. Buddha’s mock meats are some of the best you will ever taste. They use bean curd sheets to make a dish called “Mock Dock.” It’s a pretty simple dish made by frying the sheets in layers. It is delicious, but I’ve resolved to further explore the potential of this little delicacy. This recipe is still easy to make and maximizes the flavour of strong, straightforward ingredients like turmeric, coconut, and of course the sweet potato.
1 Package of 12 Bean Curd Sheets
2 to 3 medium size sweet potatoes
2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of coconut oil
1 400ml can of coconut milk
2 tsp of turmeric
Various sprouts (as garnish)
½ cup Cashews
1 cup of water
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Soak the Cashews in water for at least 12 hours prior to blending.
- In a food processor, blend together the cashews, with the 1 cup of water and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Set aside once blended.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes)
- Drain and mash the sweet potatoes. Add in the 2 tsp of cinnamon and mix well.
- Lay the bean curd sheet out on a flat surface. Use a knife to spread the sweat potato mixture out evenly across the sheet. Carefully roll up the sheet. The sweat potato should hold be enough to the ends of the bean curd sheet together.
- In a medium size skillet, heat up the coconut oil.
- Spread the rolled up bean curd sheets in the frying pan. Cook on medium, flipping occasionally, until the skin gets a bit darker.
- In a small saucepan, heat up the coconut milk on low heat. Add the turmeric and stir until blended
- On your serving plate pour about a tbsp per roll of the coconut milk mixture. Place the bean curd sheet on top of the coconut milk.
- Spoon a hearty helping of the cashew mixture on top. Garnish with sprouts.