I’m not sure why exactly, but I’ve always had high expectations of breakfast. Maybe because it’s the introductory meal of the day and can sometimes set the tone for the rest of the morning. For example, start by eating something that your bored with and that mood will likely continue. I find breakfast foods are often redundant and that there are generally less options to work into a regular rotation. And because there’s less options to work with, I get more easily bored by even the breakfast foods I really like. So, I’m constantly thinking of ways to expand upon my breakfast repertoire and also how to diversify existing dishes to make them new and interesting again.
I love my tofu scrambles but even they need to be changed up everyone once in a while. Enter the Quesadilla – that renowned Mexican food wonder that never fails to satisfying! You wouldn’t think that simply putting a tofu scramble in a tortilla would alter a dish that much to make it fresh again, but it really does provide so much needed pizzazz to the classic vegan breakfast.
Ingredients: (Makes 6 Quesadillas)
2 x 400g blocks of extra firm tofu
1 tsp of oil for frying pan
2 tsp of kala namak
1 tsp of pepper
1/4 cup of tamari
2 tsp of garlic powder
2 tsp of turmeric
2 cups of frozen edamame
143 g package of Vegan Bacon, chopped into small chunks (I used Lightlife)
6 Tortillas + 5 or 6 tbsp of vegan margarine or butter
227g bag of vegan cheddar flavoured shreds (I used Daiya)
1. In a large frying pan, heat the 1 tsp of oil over medium heat. Crumble the tofu into the frying pan and cook, flipping frequently, until crispy (usually about 15 minutes.
2. Mix in the 2 tsp of kala namak, 1 tsp of pepper, 1/4 cup of tamari, 2 tsp of garlic powder, 2 tsp of turmeric, 2 cups of edamame and the chopped bacon. Cook for another 10 minutes. Transfer from the pan into a large bowl. Keep the pan on medium heat – you can reuse it to cook the tortillas.
3. Spread the margarine evenly across one side of the tortilla and lay flat in the frying pan, with the buttered side down. Scoop 1/2 cup to 1 cup (depending on the size of your tortillas) of the tofu scramble mixture on to the tortilla. Sprinkle a generous handful of the cheddar shreds on top and around the edges of the tortilla.
4. Slowly fold over one side of the tortilla on top of the other and press down slightly so that the cheese melts a bit and binds the two halves together. Cook 5 to 10 minutes on both sides, until slightly brown and crispy.
5. Serve hot and with a side of guacamole!