Well, it’s definitely fall here in Toronto. Sometimes, those mid-October heatwaves fool you into thinking summer is a permanent affair – that the temperatures will forever hover in the mid-twenties and everything will stay green and lush. We had our first snowfall last night. There are piles of crisp fallen leaves accumulating in my backyard. And I’ve officially donned my winter jacket, as temperatures plummeted to an icy -8 degrees.
It’s not all bad I guess. It’s a season made for the comforts of home: netflix binges over hot chocolate or devouring a good book, while the snow falls outside your window. There’s also something special about autumn baking – it’s all those fresh out of the oven pies, cookies, and muffins, that fill us with us with a warm sweetness. The fruits and vegetables available in the harvest months are also some of my favourites, though pumpkin is still the champ in my books. Pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin stir-fry – I always try to work it in as much as possible into to my autumn repertoire.
This recipe was inspired by fall, and these pumpkin muffins are filled with all kinds of good things that remind me of those transitional October and November days. Hope you all enjoy them!
1 ½ cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 598ml can of pumpkin
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup goji berries
½ cup pepitas
1 tbsp of vegan margarine (for greasing the muffin tray)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tray with margarine and set aside until ready.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the sugar, milk and vanilla together. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until smooth. The batter should be still fairly moist.
- Gently fold the pepitas and goji berries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased muffin tray, filling each to about 3/4.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.