I love pizza. A cheese pizza was the last non-vegan food I ate prior to becoming vegan. It will probably be the last thing I eat before I die. I eat it way too much, but my adoration never diminishes. I was worried when I first became vegan that my pizza love was something that I would have to surrender. The world of vegan cheese was a dismal wasteland at the time. Then Daiya came and delivered one of the first worthy cheese alternatives, which reignited my passion for this most regal of foods. Pizza cake is a homage to that tasty and humble flat bread, but also a new creature, ripe for experimentation. This is a very basic recipe, which of course you can customize with all your favorite pizza toppings.
2 Packages of pre-made pizza dough (or make your own if you’re feeling ambitious, but you’ll need a fair amount of it)
1 Can of Tomato Sauce
Daiya Cheese ( I used both the cheddar and mozzarella flavour cheeses for extra variety, but the latter, I find, is infinitely better in both taste and texture)
1 Package of Tofurky Deli Slices
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree fahrenheit
- On a lightly floured surfaces roll out both of the doughs. Set one aside.|
- Using the bottom of an 8 inch spring form cake pan, or other circular object, cut out 4 to 5 mini-pizzas from one of the doughs.
- Place the mini pizzas on a baking sheet. Brush lightly with olive oil. These are your layers. Learn from my mistake. If you don’t pre-cook your layers, and instead try to bake the whole cake at once, the center of your cake will likely not cook, and you’ll end up with raw dough chunks throughout. Leave in for 5-10 minutes, depending on your crispiness preference.
- Take the second dough and mold to the cake pan form. Don’t cut off the excess sides until you’ve put the other layers in. Layer some tomato sauce, tofurky and cheese in the bottom. Place each of the baked layers in the pan and repeat with the toppings. Trim the excess dough off the sides of the pan and fold the remaining ends over the top layer of the cake.
- Bake the cake for 20-25 minutes.